As we come to the last leg of this three-part series, we feature unique customs only Iowans would appreciate and be proud of.
14. Tacos and pizza’s go together in Iowa
Yes! You won’t have a hard time deciding whether you should eat tacos or pizza if you do decide to live in Iowa because here in Iowa, both are smashed together.
15. They love their ranch dressing.
You need to get used to ranch dressing added to almost any of the dishes here in Iowa. This means adding it to their fries, pizzas, tacos and cheese curds.
So it’s best to get used to this as well.
16. Learn the farmer wave
You know you are in Iowa when you start noticing people doing a unique wave called the “farmer’s wave.” It’s short and simple but is enough to say hello to someone.
17. Try the Iowa Martini
This Iowan Martini is a combination of beer and olives. Yes! It’s olives placed on beer.
So don’t be surprised if you see someone in Iowa drinking this in a bar.
18. They travel just to see a cow made of butter
It is a wonder how someone can create a cow made from butter, but this is a delight to many Iowans. Thus, they travel miles just to see the Iowa State Fair.
Once you move into Iowa, you’ll appreciate why this is such a phenomenon.
19. Trick or Treat is indeed practiced during Halloween
Your kids may find it a bit odd that they do need to do a trick, may it be corny Halloween Joke or song, before someone gives them their goodies. But this is one thing that distinguishes Iowa from other states in the US.
20. Politics is a big deal in Iowa
Politics is just not a name one writes come election day. It is strictly scrutinized. No wonder the phrase “Iowa First” has been coined because citizens in this area do sit down to know what the candidates are going to offer them.
21. You are guaranteed to enjoy your Quaker Oat Cereals here.
This is home to Quaker Oats, the largest cereal company in the world. That only means one thing – you’ll never run out of your cereals.
22. See the view of three states through the Fenelon Place Elevator in Dubuque
Yes! It is only possible here in Iowa via the Fenelon Place Elevator in Dubuque. Head over there and see it for yourself.
Another unique trivia about this elevators is this:
It’s the shortest and steepest railway in the world.
23. Climb the Big Treehouse
Feel like a kid once again while climbing the BIG TREEHOUSE in Marshalltown. This 12 level treehouse is complete with running water, porch swings, electricity, and a connected museum.
This is really one thing you shouldn’t miss to explore.
24. Have a Drive at the Roller Coaster Road
There is always something unique to find and enjoy in Iowa. It is found in Northeast Iowa’s Allamakee County. Bring the kids and your friends over for a road trip escapade because this is truly one thing you will remember for the rest of your life.
25. This is not to brag but ultimately, a good reason why you would want to be coined as an Iowa is because of the following:
1. It has one of the highest literacy rates, if not the highest, in the nation.
2. It has the highest graduation rate.
3. It is hailed as one of the safest states to live in.
Are you still having second thoughts on why you should move to Iowa this 2020? I think we’ve covered all the basics. It is one of the best choices. So what are you waiting for? Call us so we can help you with your move.